Learn more about dryers - for more efficient laundry service, appliance life and lower gas and electricity bills! Be mindful however of safety. Dryers have electrical voltage and current levels dangerous to human life. Do not attempt repairs unless you have the training to do so safely. Failure to heed the safety warnings could result in severe injury or death from electrocution.
CONSUMER KNOWLEDGE IS POWER
- Washers usually fail before clothes dryers. Dryers are simpler machines with fewer controls usually last longer than complex control washers without a repair.
- Use only the amount of heat necessary to dry the clothing - otherwise it's excess wear and tear on your clothes and wears out dryer's components prematurely.
- Other conrol settings are of dubious value. Electronic panels are expensive, while simpler controls last much longer in the vibrating mechanical environment.
- The MOST important maintenance for dryers is to have a clear exhaust.
- Many failures are from improperly maintained vents - premature bearing failure, heating elements, ignitors and other parts.
- For best results, keep the lint filter clear EVERY load.
- For small loads, mix up the item sizes for better tumbling.
- Automatic cycles won't work properly with very small loads.
- Never use plastic exhaust ducts - they are flammable and increase drying time because they are smaller.
- Bad venting results in, longer drying times, more noise, damp clothing, and premature failure of heating element, motor or bearings.
- Gas dryers are cheaper to use than electric dryers (30 to 40 percent cheaper per load).
- Do not vent a dryer into a basement - heat and moisture produce mold damage.
- The max length of a drying duct should be only 25 feet or less.
WHO WE ARE: Westport Appliance Repair is a 20+ year appliance service business. Fully insured and bonded, our technicians are factory trained and certified to provide warranty appliance service.